Friday, February 14, 2014

Does Microwaving Destroy Nutrients?

Dani Spies is a great channel to follow on YouTube. She has some amazing videos that are helpful for the newbie cook. This is one that I came across early this morning about a subject that tends to come up often - whether or not the microwave destroys nutrients in food. Dani gives a great explanation of her opinion on this subject.

My opinion? I try not to use the microwave for cooking but I still do. When you have four different things you're making for a meal and one of those things is easiest just throwing in the microwave...well, I'll do what I need to do to get the job done efficiently. With that said, I do feel it is best to use the best method - that which will keep the most nutrients intact - for each particular food type. Most of the time that means not using the microwave, or not cooking at all for that matter. But, there are some things that microwaving works better for.


And as a new cook, try steering clear of the safety of the microwave, at least for now. Practice makes perfect and the only way you're going to gain experience and learn is by actually cooking on the stove yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment