Saturday, March 1, 2014

Fooducate Friday: Week #2 - Popcorn Indiana's Fit Popcorn

I picked up these two bags of popcorn at my local Safeway. They were on sale for 2 for $5.00. I'm a huge fan of healthy snacks! My family loves to eat and often so I am always on the lookout for healthier snacking options. This brand is called Fit Popcorn and it's made by Popcorn Indiana. Safeway had three flavors to choose from and I chose Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Sea Salt.

This brand is all natural, non-GMO, a good source of fiber, zero cholesterol, gluten free certified, kosher, 100% whole wheat, and zero trans fats! (What a mouthful! Literally!) Other flavors include Parmesan and Herb, Onion Dijon, and Real Butter. Both kinds I purchased were vegan-friendly.

Fit Popcorn by Popcorn Indiana

I scanned both packages with my Fooducate app. The Sea Salt has an A- grade and a FoodPoints value of 4 while the EVOO was given a B+ grade and a FoodPoints value of 3. The thing that blew my mind about this particular brand of popcorn wasn't just the nutrition facts, it was the serving size. When you read on, keep in mind that the serving size is a whopping 3 1/2 cups of popcorn!

EVOO

This kind is so delicious! When I first poured it out into a bowl I noticed that it was beautifully seasoned with black pepper and parsley. I had about two cups of this as my afternoon snack and was completely satisfied and full until dinner time.

Per serving, 3 1/2 cups, the details are as follows:
  • Calories - 130
  • Total Fat - 6g
  • Sat Fat - 1g
  • Trans Fat - 0g
  • Cholesterol - 0mg
  • Sodium - 210mg
  • Total Carbs - 17g
  • Dietary Fiber - 3g (which brings your net carbs down to 14g)
  • Sugars - 0g
  • Protein - 2g
  • Calcium - 10%
The ingredients includes popcorn, extra virgin olive oil, tapioca starch*, sea salt, parsley, and black pepper.

*Tapioca starch is derived from a root-based plant called the cassava plant, or the yucca. It is vegan and used as a food thickener including in, as it's name implies, Tapioca Pudding.


SEA SALT

Even though the EVOO was incredibly delicious and I WILL be buying it again, the Sea Salt was probably my favorite. I'm one of those people who prefers her gluttonous salty snacks over sugar or chocolate any day and this definitely helps satiate my salt triggers.

Per serving, 3 1/2 cups, the details are as follows:
  • Calories - 130
  • Total Fat - 6g
  • Sat Fat - 0.5g
  • Trans Fat - 0g
  • Cholesterol - 0mg
  • Sodium - 220mg
  • Total Carbs - 17g
  • Dietary Fiber - 3g (Net carbs = 14g)
  • Sugars - 0g
  • Protein - 3g
  • Iron - 4%
The ingredients list includes popcorn, non-GMO canola oil, and sea salt. I love seeing an ingredients list that is so simple!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment